0.5.3. Storage Policy
In order to keep the finite storage space on the confocal system
computers available for saving potentially large image files users should be aware of
these image storage guidelines:
- You are responsible for archiving your data.
- We never make backups of image data on the
- Secure/archive/backup your data before it is moved off the confocal
- On the confocal systems computers use only your subdirectory in:
- D:\USERS1\ or D:\USERS2\ or D:\USERS3
(\\Leica_tcs\Users1 or 2 or3) or
- M:\ (\\Confocal\MacExchange for Apple Talk access)
- I: (\\Leica_tcs\LongTerm) for image file storage,
- J: (\Leica_tcs\LongTerm2) for image file storage,
- Alternatively store directly to:
- a Zip disk or Jaz disk or floppy disk
- a shared directory on your Microsoft Network (e.g. \\Orac\users0
or \\CMPHYS-NT\xfer) computer
- a drive on a Novell server inside the Medical
School, e.g. BIOCHEM
- If storage space becomes scarce, requests will be made to have old data
- The I: and J: drives (\\Leica_tcs\LongTerm, &
\\Leica_tcs\LongTerm2 ) may be used for longer term storage if space
is available and when the drives are functioning.
- You, the user, is responsible for the security of your data.
- Image files on the confocal system D: drive (\\Leica_tcs\Hodgkin)
or M: MacExchange drive (\\Confocal\MacExchange) which are older than
THREE months will be
- Image files on the C: drive are subject to immediate removal.
Overall it is intended to try and keep storage procedures casual, as far
as possible. It is your responsibility to ensure that your files are successfully copied
before irreversibly removing them from the confocal computers.
Please note that valid confocal users have access permission to image files over the
network. File access, by default, is open to all confocal users. Restrictions,
if required, must be setup by special arrangement with mchua<EXPUNGETHIS>@med.unc.edu.