Image File FTP Transfers
Transfer: data can be transferred to other computers over the campus
network using FTP file transfers or Novell server access. Files can also be moved
using Zip or Jazz disks.
- FTP (Apples, PCs & Unix) - Connect to confocal.med.unc.edu (or
sometimes orac.med.unc.edu) using an FTP program.
You will need to provide your confocal username and confocal password to gain
read/write/delete access. The way this is done depends on the particular type of FTP
software you are using. Instructions for Netscape,
WS_FTP, FTP (Dos prompt), FTP_Voyager, on DOS, Unix etc. can be given. For
security reasons details are listed on a secure web site.
- Novell Netware (PCs & Apples)
- Users whose name and password are identical to a Novell server on the UNC
campus can logon and enable automatic logon scripts to the shared drives. N.B.
drives letters used by local disk drives can not be used for Novell (or Microsoft) network
drive mapping. e.g. C: D: E: G: H: I:
& J: are reserved on the confocal computer for removable and fixed disks
and can not be shared with a Novell (or Microsoft) server. Talk to your network
manager to find out which network servers available.
- Microsoft Windows Network (PCs running Windows, OS/2 or Linux with Samba
only) use Network Neighborhood and look in the \\PHYSIOLOGY workgroup domain. This
system is also known as NetBEUI or LAN Manager (for Windows3.1, Windows95, Windows98,
WindowsNT or OS/2, but not Windows2000). This mode of transfer works inside the
Medical Sciences Research Building using Network Neighborhood to browse to the confocal
computer (\\Leica_tcs). Note that OIS blocks this mode
of network transfer between buildings. Currently it functions across campus
if: 1. the computer name is known & 2. shared drive name is known and 3. WINS access
(220.127.116.11 & 18.104.22.168) is enabled. Browsing with Network
Neighborhood does not find Leica_tcs outside of the Medical Sciences Research Building.
Usage example - Type: use net X: \\Leica_tcs\users2 in a DOS
box and use your confocal login name and password for access permission. The created
drive share can be treated much like a standard drive in Windows.
- Apple Talk (Apple computers only) Note that
OIS blocks this mode of network transfer between buildings. It is only
available within the Medical Sciences Research Building. ATN provides more
information concerning Apple Talk, but in short get DAVE
- First transfer files from \\Leica_tcs\users2\your_directory (or
d:\user2\your_diretory) to \\CONFCAL\MacExchange\your_directory ( Many user have this path
set to the drive M: )
- From Chooser
- Apple Icon
- -> Chooser
- Apple Talk Zone: UNC Med
- -> Appleshare --- Select a file server
- Enter your confocal user name and password (or use the "guest"
- Access image files from Microsoft UAM volume on the desktop
- NB. Long files names up to about 25 characters are supported.
- UNC now has a site license for DAVE which connects Macs to PCs over the
internet (TCP/IP network protocol).
Last updated 2006-10-24